On June 30, 1942, a small group of ten people met together to organize the Tiftonia First Baptist Church. Five of these individuals were preachers who conducted the services and the remaining five became charter members. They were Mr. Charles Bowman, Mrs. Lucy McCary, Mrs. Esther Runyan, Mr. E.L. Carruth, and one other whose name is not available.
After its conception, the church was a member of the Southern Baptist Convention. From 1948-1950, Tiftonia First Baptist Church went under the Highland Park Baptist Church as a mission, and later became indigenous and independent of the convention of the mother church. In recent years, the word "First" was dropped from the name of the church, and thus it has come to be known as Tiftonia Baptist Church. During its 68 years of operation, the church has served under the direction of 14 pastors. Important Dates... 1942 Church organized; Pastor Alton Janeway called as first pastor 1958 Former auditorium dedicated (Rev. Ben Smith, Pastor) 1971 Present auditorium dedicated (Rev. Bill Freeny, Pastor) 1971 Tiftonia Christian School started (Kindergarten only, Rev. Guy Cook, Pastor) 1975 Tiftonia Christian School expanded (Kindergarten to Grade 12) 2009 Rev. Mark Brandon called to pastor 2010 Auditorium renovation